Monday, July 9, 2007






















We are enjoying summer. I am always ready for a break just as much as the kids.

Stephanie is on a trip to San Diego and St. Louis. She's with a group of about 40 teens for a visit to Point Loma Nazarene University and then on to the Nazarene Youth Conference that's held once every four years. She'll be gone for 11 days. It's a big event that she's been fundraising for all spring.


Rachael and Rebecca just finished a ballet class near our house. Now they are busy with their cousin from Ohio. She is Marilyn's granddaughter that was born here, but she and her mom moved back to the mainland. She comes every summer. They have sleep-overs and swim in Marilyn's pool for hours.











We've had a lot of company this past month. Two of Mark's sister came over from the Big Isle to stay with Bob (Mark's dad) while Jean (Mark's mom) went on a mission trip to Africa. Bob can't drive any more so he couldn't be alone for the 3 weeks while she was gone. They each took about a week with him, and one sister brought five of her kids... Then just this past weekend, my cousin Cathy (my mom's sister's kid) came out with her family. So we have been busy going places with everyone--at the same time trying to get Steph ready for this big trip. I'm exhausted! Oh yea, we also went camping in there too! I'll attach some pictures of our adventures.

Andrew has just discovered surfing. He's a natural. No fear! He just goes for it. He's getting so tall. He comes up to my chest. He's a big coin collector; has all the state quarters and is starting to collect the presidential dollar coins. He is still a huge Star Wars fan and loves to play his X Box. I guess I'm raising a nerd...but at least he surfs.

I keep thinking that things will settle down soon, but it hasn't happened so far. I just want to clean my house and go to the beach! I'm already having to plan my next school year. Normally I wouldn't but I will be joining a co-op with about 7 other moms for a high school history/literature/geography/world views class. It will give Steph a chance to be in a group setting, prepare work for other teachers, give presentations, etc. with a group of kids close to her age. She will be in10th grade next year (pinch me please!) and the other kids range from 9th to 11th grade. Each mom will team with another mom and teach only a few weeks each quarter. We'll meet just two days a week for about an hour and a half each day.

Mark is doing well. He is training for another triathlon at the end of this month. That and his involvement at church keep him busy. Mark is a wonderful father. I love to watch him with the kids. He takes Andrew fishing and catches waves with the girls. It is amazing how in love I am with him after 20 years of marriage. I am truly blessed!












Blue is such fun to have around. Steph has him in an obedience class. He's the star student. Even now I'm stopping every three words to throw the toy. I get the "Lassie cry" and sad eyes. I'm sure he understands every word I say. He just looks at me and cocks his head, then goes and does what I ask. It's creepy. He is just a bit over the height limit for showing so we may not put him in any more. He could get disqualified if someone asks for him to be measured. (And don't you know some of those dog people would ask!) Steph is actually relieved to be out of that crowd. They are so cut-throat. It's embarrassing to see grown-ups act so childishly.

We don't have any family trips planned. There is a new ferry that will be starting up by the end of summer. It will run between Oahu and Kauai and Oahu and Maui. It will take about three hours each way. You can bring your car on and pack anything you want in it. It's an absolutely huge ship! It will carry 900 people and 280 cars. It has several restaurants, movies, Internet access, and observation decks. I can't wait to try it out. The kids haven't been to either of those islands so it would be fun to pack the car and go. Prices seem pretty reasonable.

Well, that's a pretty quick summary of what's going on around here. My best summer days are when I can grab my book and a cup of coffee, and head for the beach with the kids and Blue. I'm looking forward to making them happen more now that the family obligations are slowing down. I still love a good run in the morning. I've been taking Blue with me. He's quite a pal. I always thought I was a cat person--until I got a dog!

No comments: